Mew in San Diego, California

September 21, 2015


You know when you find music that just clicks with your soul and you fall in love with every note? That's how I feel about Mew's music. It's really hard for me to connect on that level with music now a days. Could be that those bands are hiding somewhere on the other side of the world or I'm bound to stumble upon them sooner or later. 

I had the amazing opportunity to photograph Mew on Thursday September 17th at The Observatory North Park for New Noise Magazine. My friend Tony, an awesome dude at New Noise, gave me the heads up a few months before the show and asked if I wanted to photograph it for them. UH. HECK YEAH! We got in touch with the lovely woman in charge of press for them (hi!) and got things going. She was honestly one of the easiest people to work with. I'm not saying that because she was Mew's contact, but because I've had to deal with some difficult people in the past and everyone should just be laid back and go with the flow. Shooting one of my favorite bands and everything is smooth sailing? I'm all up for that.

The day of the show could not go any slower. 7PM rolled in and the crew and I were ready to roll OUT. I gathered all my gear making sure I didn't forget any memory cards and extra batteries, no room for mistakes tonight! Ya feel, photo homies? 

When we got to the venue we found a straggler asking us if we'd ever been to the venue before. I said, "NOPE! But feel to join our group!" I asked who he was there to see and with an awesome attitude he said, "THE FUCKING DODOS, BRO!" Haha I was glad he was just as excited for the show as us. We finally got inside and I was extremely happy because I was finally gonna be in the same room as people that loved Mew's music. It's honestly rare that I find someone that knows who they are (hipster moment not intentional) and I wish it wasn't like that. Everyone needs to experience the music!

The Dodos opened up the show and I had never heard of them until two days before. The song and video for "Competition" sold me on shooting their set. I'm a sucker for one take looking movies and videos. After watching them I understood why our new friend Elton was so excited to watch them live. The drummer was KILLIN' IT. I was so impressed and I'm sure the rest of the drummer homies will agree. This was the only video I found from their set in San Diego that day but don't miss them if you're going to see Mew this tour.

The Dodos links: WebsiteFacebook | Twitter | Instagram | iTunes

Finally the moment arrived and the thirteen year old me was jumping up and down. They opened up the show with the song "Witness" from their latest album "+-" that was released earlier this year. They hadn't released an album in over six years and it was worth the wait. My friends and I sang along all night and it was the happiest moment of my life. It was worth the 10 year wait to finally see them live. I ended up editing and adding the image above to my ever growing collection of "artsy fartsy" live photos. The images incorporated were photos I took of my recent trip to Seattle, WA. I'll eventually come up with a good name for the series haha. If you've never heard of them, please check them out on the links below and make sure to catch the experience live in a town near you! 

I took sooo many more photos over at New Noise Magazine followed with an amazing show review by the one and only Luis Alvarez of The Nerdwork so make sure to check it out if you want more photos!
Check out Mew on your favorite social networks below:

Check out the image above on the links below:


Mew North America Tour Dates:

9/25 – The Fonda Theatre, Hollywood, CA

9/26 – The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA

9/28 – Wonder Ballroom, Portland OR
9/29 – Venue, Vancouver, BC Canada
9/30 – Neumos , Seattle, WA
10/2 – The Complex, Salt Lake City, UT
10/3 – Gothic Theatre, Denver CO
10/5 – Triple Rock, Minneapolis, MN
10/6 – Metro, Chicago, IL
10/7 – Lee’s Palace, Toronto, ON Canada
10/9 – 9:30 Club, Washington, DC
10/10 – Webster Hall, New York, NY
10/11 – Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA

Please credit @anabphoto on instagram if you'd like to use any photos, thank you! <3



THE DODOS












































MEW









































































0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram Feed

View this post on Instagram

Hey, here's another selfie.

A post shared by Ana (@anabphoto) on