Arlington, Washington

August 21, 2015


If you didn't know already, I'm in Washington state! I'm on a "workation" for two weeks and I'm exploring as much as I possibly can in that time. Here's my first big adventure so far!

Yesterday I accompanied my friend Poe to Arlington, WA. We went to an antique store to pick up an Antelope bust she had seen listed on craigslist. On our way there, about 10 minutes from our destination, we spotted a sunflower field and had to stop by. To my surprise there was a massive CORN FIELD right next to it. If you know me by now, you know that one of my favorite foods is corn so my excitement was over 9000.

After forcing myself to not bring back bags of corn with me, we got to the antique store. The antelope bust and the store was everything she (and i) had dreamed of. We found so many amazing things I was glad I couldn't take any of them with me on the plane. After that place, we kept exploring the small town and found that we were in antique store HEAVEN. There were at least 3 of them on the same street filled with things that only grandmothers (and us) could love. 

When we were done drooling about the things we could and couldn't afford, we asked one of the employees (let's call him Bob for the fun of it) at one of the stores if he could recommend some tasty places to eat in. He had recommended a vegetarian place, and I quickly looked at Poe to see if she was vegetarian (she looked at me with the same face) but we were both loved to eat hearty so the vegetarian place was a no. Bob then recommended a small diner across the street and we were game. Thanks Bob! The place was called Blue Bird Cafe and the employees were so nice. American style diner and the food was delicious. A+ for service and food just how I like it! After chowing down, we drove by this Lord of the Rings themed Cafe and Mordor Tattoo shop. BOB. WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US BOB. WE TRUSTED YOU BOB. We decided to check it out on our way back from the kangaroo farm.

As we got to The Outback Kangaroo Farm, we saw a bunch of peacocks walking around very casually among the visitors. The farm is run by an older married couple, Ray and his wife Joey. They had kangaroos, lemurs, donkeys, goats and llamas to name a FEW. The tour started with Joey inside the lemur exhibit giving guests educational information about them. As the lemurs rotated jumping on her back and legs to get her attention so they could get a banana, she told us that they were all a family. Lemurs are probably up there on my favorite animals list now because they're great parkour-ers. When Joey's turn was done, we followed Ray to feed and pet some more animals. I loved that everything was educational and I wasn't complaining that I finally hung out with some rad animals. If you live in Washington or are stopping by, the trip to Arlington for this Kangaroo farm is worth every mile. I definitely enjoyed it more than the San Diego Zoo, sorry city that I love so much!

On our way back into town, we stopped at the LOTR cafe called "Mirkwood & Shire Cafe". Trying to contain ourselves, Poe and I walked in with the biggest nerdiest smiles ever. Upstairs there was a tattoo shop called "Mordor Tattoo" aaaaahhhhhh! We sat down at the cafe and since I wasn't very hungry, I ordered a strawberry lemonade and it's now my favorite place to get lemonade. Seriously. So. Dang. Good. I did try some of Poe's cheesy bread and I'd probably get that next time we go. There was artwork hung all around the cafe and they also host live music. Unfortunately there wasn't any when we went but I'm sure it gets poppin' when the day arrives since it's a big place.

Arlington was one of the cutest small towns I've been to and you definitely get that homey family vibe. To be honest, I love small towns way more than big cities and i'll definitely be back next year to explore more of it. Meanwhile, if you live in the state or are passing by, I highly recommend exploring the town and seeing all it has to offer. Until next time, Arlington!






























































































0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram Feed

View this post on Instagram

Hey, here's another selfie.

A post shared by Ana (@anabphoto) on